Tuesday 3 June 2014

Dan, Jo, and some words on a wedding...

When I shoot weddings, I write about them. It's my job. I write from memory as I don’t have time to actually take notes on the day and I write honestly and from the heart. I sometimes sit with my head in my hands though, wracking my brain for inspiration to put a day into words, sometimes my brain eludes me. It’s thinking about food. But I have so often uttered to Jo, ‘I’m losing inspiration to write them… there are only so many variations I can think of for the word 'beautiful’ or 'I'm not doing it any justice.' This is why as my dear friend, proof-reader and editor I will not do her the disservice of writing as I normally would. To surprise and amuse a little, I will do something different for her, something she doesn’t have to read as just another wedding to me. Because it wasn’t just another wedding, it was a truly special day for them, for me, and for everyone involved.

I really had to tax my brain to make the words rhyme by the way ;-)

A friend can ask a thousand times and know the answer to be
Something of a task ahead, but nothing more you see
Than a smile, a picture, a token of friendship
Something to last, something to treasure
Something of note, something of measure
Still memorable in mind, but to capture and more
The laughs of ‘oops’ and then the downpour
Forgotten books, and frazzled children’s smiles
The elusive puddings, and pictures of travelled miles
Thoughts of a rotating pig and salads stacked plenty
Rumours of thirds to ensure the trough empty
Why BBQ when you can Braai ‘ey bru?
‘Pray, rise all Feast Seats, form an orderly queue’
A decadent cake of rustic charm
The cheeses, the speeches, a funny farm
Not funny mental, funny ha ha
The donated drinks, the pop-up bar
Inspired characters invited and sketched
Shortbread hearts on ours they etched
The stories of note and forthcoming shall be
That of the Crisps and their teepee
A day of beauty, and schizoid weather
A day of love and coming together
Of two who are, and so shall be
United as one, united and happy.

Stay lovely kids…

Love you lots,

Loukie (Big Guy) xx





























































No comments: