Wednesday 5 September 2012

Tom and Helen...a few tears, a lot of love and a little bit of Essex



For as long as I can remember God Only Knows by the Beach Boys has done something to me. Something happens inside my throat that bubbles up and spawns a frog. I lose the ability to speak and salty stuff comes out of my eyes like a broken water main, all very unprofessional. So put that song on a grand scale, in the beautiful St. Mary’s Church, Great Dunmow, being sung for a couple who are so in love and so happy and smiley and downright keeeeoooot. God it makes me well up just thinking about it.

So on Saturday 26th August, somewhere in Essex. I cried on the job. Openly blubbed whilst trying to capture this wonderful surprise for the lady he loves. Yes, Helen knew nothing about it. Tom had planned the whole thing.  So when the first guest stood up, ukulele in hand, and the next stood up, and then a flutist and then the trumpeter all playing and singing this song in unison, I realised, God damn it, I have the best job and they have the best friends!

I think I fell a little bit in love with Tom and Helen. Couple Crush! They are gorgeous, so chilled out and such fun to work with. They were completely relaxed with me and I guess it helps that they're both actors, but still, ‘they’re naturals darling’.

The venue, Maiden’s Barn was luuuverly, super pretty, styled to perfection and a very relaxed venue to work. Archers Caterers were excellent and a hearty pat on the back to Juliette who couldn’t have been lovelier or more helpful. I must also thank one of the many best men (I think 6 in total!), Nolan who did a marvelous job of rounding up the troops for photos and being really, really efficient. Nolan, you can come and work with me if the acting lark doesn’t pan out ;-)

Also, the videographers, Matt and Mike were ace. It was great meeting and working with them both and hopefully our paths will cross again one day as we trail the wedding path.

So to the most important thing about last Saturday, the bride and groom! Firstly, Helen looked incredible. Her dress was handmade by family friend, Cath and all I have to say is WOW, WOW, WOW. I want her to make my dress (wink, wink nudge, nudge Potato…he’s my partner Dom (aka Potato) and not an actual potato).

It was perfect. In every way perfect and to see the expressions cross their faces, looks of pride, gratitude, and relief and sheer joy as a bride and her perfect dress are united…they were wonderful moments to witness.

And to Tom… Mr. Ginger Essex. I just think you are awesome. And you’re crazy friends are awesome too; they made me giggle lots over the course of the day and that best man speech! I will never forget the look on your Nan’s face when ‘that’ story came out. Priceless! And a true token to just how loved you clearly are.

This was a wedding full of joy, humour, cheekiness and a stage load of love. The sweets weren’t half bad too and hats off to Ivy, Helen’s Mum, who arranged the whole tuck shop table. It was amazing and I took a little bag home for Potato, but sadly for him I polished off the lot in the car back home. Oh dear. 
                    
I’m hoping (if I’ve done a good job of course) to go and see Helen in Les Miserables as I sincerely hope our paths cross again. They have tweeted some love and shown such appreciation for me over the course of us working together and I hope I’ve done them proud and captured their day exactly as they dreamed.

You have been such a pleasure to work for and I wish you both such a happy life together, you clearly deserve the very best and I hope to see you both one day on the big screen so I can say to Potato, ‘Potato, I shot their wedding I did!’

A big dose of love, and respect to you both!

Loukie xx