Monday 24 September 2012

James and Chrissy...The Performing Groom and The Blushing Bride


In May this year I was shooting Emma and Jona’s wedding in Cornwall when I was approached by James and his partner Chrissie (Emma's aunt) and as it happened, they were getting married in September so the three of us had a little chat and I remember my words exactly, ‘Have a look at Emma and Jona’s portfolio and we can go from there.’ Which they did and (luckily for me) they loved them; I got a call and I was booked. Marvelous.  

So here we are, nearing the end of September and James and Chrissie are now a fully-fledged Mr. and Mrs. Their wedding was held in picture perfect Chiddingfold in Surrey on such a beautiful day with barely a cloud in the sky and just the perfect temperature. They have been together for about 15 years so it was a very relaxed affair with a lovely service at St. Mary’s and then a two second walk to the reception at The Swan Inn.   

But let me rewind a little. I walk into the room where Chrissie is getting ready and it’s full of her friends laughing and chatting, Chrissie is having her hair and make-up done and then a discussion is had about ironing the sash on the dress! Yikes. This spreads fear in my heart. Amanda took charge and after a couple of wet pillowcases (newly dyed purple and the words, ‘Lets hide those’ to be heard), two irons and a lot of laughter later the sash was finally crease-free. Phew! I could breathe again. Irons + wedding dresses = *shudder*. All that mattered was Chrissie looked beautiful and there wasn’t a burnt sash in sight ;-)­

The Swan Inn put on an excellent spread and I was so impressed with the marquee in the back garden...it really worked and looked beautiful and although it was a bit squish for me to do my usual stealth (Ninja) maneuvers in and around the guests, I think it really worked as a venue. It bought everyone close and the atmosphere was electric. I think it also helps that the families and friends of the couple have obviously become very close over the 15 years that they have been together. I think James and Chrissie must also have been very proud to have Charles, Patrick and Edward as their ushers and Victoria do a reading. There is certainly something wonderful about having your children at your wedding, as amazing memories are created together and therefore can be shared together. I’m such a softy!

So as the evening progressed, the festivities continued and what better then the Groom getting up on stage to do a few numbers! Now, this could (potentially) be slightly awkward and somewhat embarrassing especially after a few glugs (bottles) of champagne, BUT I was super impressed with James’ performance as were his guests. He is clearly a very talented singer and it was especially lovely to see the pride in his Mother’s face who I must say, gave a really heartfelt speech too. You don’t often hear a speech from the Mother of the Groom, so it was fab to see it for a change!  

It was lovely seeing a few familiar faces and meeting some new ones and it was a real pleasure to photograph and be part of their special day. There was lot of laughter, lots of love and a ton of silly faces courtesy of the Groom. What more could a wedding want!

To finish I must say a big congratulations to James and Chrissie. I wish you both the very best for your future and I hope you will have many (more) happy years together and hopefully the images will be a wonderful reminder of your special day.
Thank you for hiring me!

My very best wishes to you both…

Loukie xx